Waverly Oktoberfest — Wartburg will be the Amphitheater Stage sponsor for the first Waverly Oktoberfest, Sept. 23-24 in Kohlmann Park. Inspired by Waverly’s German heritage, the community event will feature two music venues, food and beverage gardens, a family fun zone, and activities for all ages. Individuals can support this new event by becoming a “founding member” or volunteering during the event (email email@example.com). Tickets can be purchased online at www.waverlyoktoberfest.com. Details also can be found on the Oktoberfest Facebook page.
Business Office on Thursday — Business Office staff members will be out of the office Thursday, Aug. 18, for a retreat. Financial Aid staff members will be available if you need assistance.
Welcome (new arrivals):
- Joseph Barloon, digital media producer, July 6
- Hailee Bossard, maintenance, The W, Aug. 3
- Ryan Chapman, head cross country coach and assistant track and field coach, July 1
- Ashton DeMoss, adjunct faculty, physical education, Sept. 1
- Michaeleen Gerken Golay, assistant professor of biology, Sept. 1
- Danielle Harms, director of outreach and project development, Aug. 8
- Rita Jensen, visiting assistant professor of education, Sept. 1
- Johanna Kramer-Weston, art gallery director and exhibition manager, Aug. 1
- Allyson Mann, area coordinator, Aug. 1
- Kristen Notestine, Dining Services cook, Aug. 1
- Ashley O'Connor, adjunct faculty, social work, Sept. 1
- Ryan Pautsch, visiting assistant professor of business administration, Sept. 1
- Emmalinde Roelofse, vising assistant professor of business administration, Sept. 1
- Todd Rogers, maintenance, July 18
- Kyle Schenkewitz, visiting assistant professor of religion, Sept. 1
- Lauren Schmitt, Dining Services cook, July 18
- Lorinda Sheeler, visiting associate professor of public health, Sept. 1
Farewell (departures and retirements):
- Graham Garner, executive director of Marketing & Communication, June 30
- Karen Lehmann, information literacy librarian, July 31
- Shawn Paarmann, digital media producer, July 8
- Monica Severson, associate director of athletics, senior woman administrator and head women's golf coach, June 30
- Michael Strydom, head men's and women's tennis coach, July 22
- Jill Thrasher, Student Life office coordinator, June 30
Enrollment Management update — Enrollment Management has made the following administrative updates as the result of last year’s campus budget review process and staffing changes:
- Admissions: As part of the larger Wartburg West initiatives, we now have Brian Zaun as a full-time assistant director for regional recruitment in Denver, Colorado. Brian will be responsible for Colorado and a number of other western states. He will also work in collaboration with Danielle Harms, director of outreach and project development in Denver.
- Pathways Center: The following programs will no longer be offered beginning Fall 2016: Vocation Mini-Grants and the Campus-wide Professional Development Series. Pathways will continue to offer one vocation speaker focused event each year for students. The faculty and staff programming will no longer be offered.
- With Dr. Fred Ribich’s retirement as director of institutional research, we are using this academic year to develop a new position description in this area, and we plan to begin a search for this position later in the academic year. During this interim period, Vice President Edie Waldstein will be temporarily delegating various tasks and responsibilities to other Enrollment Management staff, and we will be conducting only the most essential types of institutional research until a new person is hired. If you have any requests this year or questions, in general, please direct them to Edie.
Visit the InfoCenter for details on the following:
Dr. Kit Kleinhans, the Mike and Marge McCoy Family Distinguished Chair in Lutheran Heritage and Mission:
- is the editor of Together by Grace: Introducing the Lutherans, published by Augsburg Fortress in August.
- is the author of the chapter on sin in Gift and Promise: The Augsburg Confession and the Heart of Christian Theology, published by Augsburg Fortress in August.
- was the keynote speaker for the ELCA Virginia Synod’s Power in the Spirit conference held at Roanoke College, Salem, Va., July 14-16.
- presented three workshops at the ELCA Grace Gathering in New Orleans, Aug. 10-13.