“In my writing classes I often call this strategic approach predatory reading or reading from the top of the food chain. Will you, the reader, consume what you need to get out of the text, or will the text consume you” Keith Hjortshoj
The transition to from reading in high school to reading in college is difficult for many students; here at the WRSL we will work with you to make this transition easier. These are some of the elements we will work with you on:
- Reading comprehension
- Prereading strategies
- Vocabulary building
- Identification of main ideas
- Note-taking tips
What to expect:
You may also wish to take advantage of “Readers Edge” a computer program intended to help you read faster and retain more information. This is available for students on the Pathways computers.
- You can expect a personal, confidential discussion in a relaxed setting.
- Your conference will be with a peer - a student, just like you.
- You can expect expert help and advice.
- You can expect to feel better about your assignment.
- You can expect to spend 30 minutes (sometimes longer).